Friday, December 18, 2015

My Father's Life Through a New Lens

Light is a photographer’s best friend. The more light you have, the better the image will be. A camera captures light by exposing its internal image sensor. As a photographer, I have to be mindful of three primary ways of controlling the amount of light captured: aperture (controls light and focal point), shutter speed (controls the length of time the sensor is exposed) and ISO (controls the sensor’s sensitivity to light).

So why talk about photography when I’m attempting to write a novel? Because -  I’ve found variables in photography analogous to variables in novel writing. Rivoting – yes?

Probably not, but the project I’ve started, writing the story of my dad’s youth - Cat Skinner: A Story of Lust, Love and Loss in the 1930’s, is full of discovery. The excitement I felt when I decided to seriously pursue photography is what I’m feeling now in writing his story. (I just discontinued photography as a business after six wonderful years. www.BonnieKingPhotography.com).

The similarities are many. I’m seeing my father’s life through a new lens. The light I’m seeking is provided by those who have written successful novels and those who have written technical works on how to write a successful novel. And here again, there are three primary variables: character (without whom there is no story), plot (which the writer must imagine) and structure (the way in which the plot unfolds).

Of course, there’s much more to photography than light and camera settings and there’s certainly more to novel writing than character, plot and structure. Both the photographer and the writer must have an idea of the desired result, be able to creatively compose subject matter, add special effects and then crop to assure the real story of the subject is told.

I was able to produce photo results that were pleasing to me and I hope to my photography clients. (I received rave reviews from many).

Whether I can do the same with this novel remains to be seen, but like photography, the challenge of learning and the journey itself, are well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment